Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm back in the technical saddle

After a 2 year stint as a software development manager I've decided to focus my career on a technical path again.  While I had a fair amount of success in the management role I never got the same level of job satisfaction that I do from working on code and having it run.  A podcast I listen to occasionally, Manager Tools, described the difference between being an individual contributor and a manager as being like the difference between volcanic eruptions and tectonic plate movements.

So I'm back as a senior engineer on the team I managed.  ASP.NET MVC4, SQL Server 2008R2, jQuery, unit testing... Lots of fodder for blog posts and getting back into doing presentations at user group meetings.

I'm definitely more of a volcano kind of guy.