Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Note to self... always read the instructions

I'm in the process of setting up a build machine at work. I firmly believe any shop doing production code with multiple developers needs to have both a source code repository (I like Subversion) and a build machine (sometimes called an integration server). I'm setting our build machine up to use CruiseControl.NET for our integration server. I used it at my last place, it's free and I like it. Since I'm the one doing the set up I get to decide.

It's good to be the king.

Anyway, I didn't install the OS, framework and all that on this box so was getting frustrated that I couldn't get the CC.NET web dashboard working. Turns out if I only read the FAQ I would have seen the first item talks about what to do if IIS gets installed after the .NET framework. Running the aspnet_regiis.exe as that document suggests fixed my problem. That's an hour or so of my life I would like back.

RTFM, indeed.